Pages

On the loose

The last time I went home, I was lugging 2 large 50 lb suitcases all over town. It was a major pain in the be-hind. Now, in an effort to truly connect with my inner backpacker, I am only going to be traveling with my tenderfoot Deuter pack which I bought on impulse in Kuala Lumpur's Central Market.

In short, there will be no pasalubongs. Just me and my pack. It helps so much in hopping from one place to another.

So in sum, I'm leaving April 12th and coming back June 8th. I'm volunteering from April 27 - May 23 which leaves me quite a bit of time to wander around town or the country. =)

I'll land in Manila on the 14th of April and will be staying with Kat for the night (thanks Kat! :*).

Next up, island of Java, Indonesia from April 15 - April 21. I'm meeting up with a cool kid I met in Kuala Lumpur last year. He's doing his grad studies there and luckily is on his vacation around the time I'm available. Basically, I don't know where we're headed except for the volcanic site in Mt. Bromo. So long as I'm back in Jakarta for my flight back to Manila, I'm game.

So last year when I went home, I was kind of disappointed as to how I failed to even visit one other site in the Philippines other than Manila and Davao. They say that the hardest part about traveling is deciding to go. I've always wanted to witness the majestic beauty of the Mayon Volcano. I've disappointed myself once and now I'm not gonna pass up on this chance. Hence, I'm going to Legaspi on the 21st 5 hours after landing. As a kid, I've always been amazed by looking at Mayon pictures. Now, I can't wait to see the real thing for myself. The bonus on this trip is I'm making a side trip to Donsol, Sorsogon with hopes to swim with the largest fish on the planet, the whale sharks or what is locally known as butandings.

After 2 nights in Legaspi, on the 23rd I'm flying on to Cebu to meet with Ate Chelle and Kuya Nin, Nathan and Chloe. They are very good friends of ours from Wilson and they're all in Cebu to visit with Ate Chelle's sick father. It's their first time going back and Nate and Chloe's first in the Philippines. I've shared a lot with them and I'd really love to spend some time with them there. Share a few lechons and dried mangoes. =) and Chickenjoy with the kids!

On April 27, I'll be heading to Davao to start on my real mission. Even more adventures to come! Can't wait!

And when it ends on May 23rd, I'll have 2 weeks to work with. I really really wanna visit Sagada. Well, anywhere new for that matter. Anyone who wants to trip with, let's go! =)

Check out these great travel blogs I've come across from endless nights of scouring the internet for info! Haha!

- dutch pickle: a fantastic site full of info. from what i've read, i think he's a dutch guy living in catbalogan, samar who's been all over the philippines.

- nina fuentes' just wandering: i haven't spent as much time here but her blog is very informative as well

2 Responses to “On the loose”

Jem said...

21 April 2009.

on your way to Legaspi, maybe? :) enjoy your trip(s), kristia! don't forget to make a stopover somewhere in ortigas for a meet & greet. lol.

kristia said...

ate jem. already done. thanks much! i enjoyed bicol very much! :P see you in ortigas sa june! :)

Post a Comment